How to Get the Most Out of Your Spray Tan
Exfoliate 24-48 hours prior to the airbrush service. Exfoliation removes dead skin cells from the surface of your skin to reveal a smooth surface for an even application. Make sure your pores are clean and closed prior to the tan. Makeup, deodorant and some exfoliant products may contain oils and cremes. These ingredients can act as a barrier blocking the tan, causing an uneven tan or create discolouration. Keep moisturizing to a minimum, only targeting direness to avoid overdevelopment in these areas.
If you cannot exfoliate the day prior to your tan and you must do it the day of, use a wet wash cloth with soap and water. Rub lightly. You should never spray on irritated skin. Along with exfoliating, services such as nails, hair and waxing are highly recommended to be done 24 hours in advance as they can affect your tan.
We do not recommend receiving nail services after your spray tan unless it is a dry mani/pedi. Soaking or scrubbing will remove the tan prematurely with noticeable unevenness.
Keep in mind you cannot get wet for 8-10 hours after your airbrush service. Follow theses steps to be prepared for the day of your session
- Start within, hydration is the key to moisturized skin! Make sure you are drinking plenty of water throughout the day to hydrate the body and skin
- The undergarments you choose to wear will ultimately determine your tan-lines, choose wisely or opt to go garment free
- The clothing you choose to wear will be your outfit of the day, choose dark, loose fitting garments and pair with sandals.
- Do not wear white, denim, silk, or materials which do not breath
- Avoid closed shoes, socks, tight fitting pants, tops or bras as they can cause streaking and lines
- Avoid using soaps, oil based products, deodorants, and perfumes the day of service as these can act as a barrier to the active ingredient in sunless solutions (DHA). Instead remove residues with only water and your hands.
- Liquid makeup can also disrupt the development process, do not wash your hands or face until you are ready to rinse your entire body
Hydration is the key factor to maintaining a great spray tan. Remember to shower as directed by the technician. When you shower will directly affect the depth of your skin tone, too soon and the tan may be too light, leave it on too long and some solutions may over develop. The first rinse should simply be water - no soaps or shampoos.
Constantly hydrate the skin inside and out by drinking plenty of water and moisturizing 1-2 times per day. For best results, preserve a spray tan with products that are water based and oil-free.
Soaps and shampoos will affect the longevity of a spray tan. Harsh ingredients will slowly strip the tan, which is why we always recommend oil free products.
Minimize the use of exfoliation and shaving as much as possible as they may begin to remove a tan.
Exposure to chemicals such as chlorine and salt-water can act as an exfoliator and the tan may not last as long.
The most common reason a tan begins to fade is friction. Activities involving excessive sweating can cause friction potentially removing the tan.